The deep freeze that ruptured water mains around Clayton County also has shut down several government buildings that had been empty over the holiday break. The Clayton County Water Authority says many buildings that were vacant over Christmas also had pipes burst because no one was there to drip the pipes. That has added to the systemwide problems, CCWA said.
- The Harold Banke Justice Center, 9151 Tara Blvd., is closed due to low water pressure problems (reopening at 12 noon Wed., Dec. 28). CCSO says, “The building closure may not affect any virtually scheduled court appearances or the ability to electronically file documents with the clerks’ offices. Please contact offices directly if you have any questions.”
- Clayton County Juvenile Court building next door also is closed (reopening at 12 noon Wed., Dec. 28). CCSO says, “The building closure may not affect any virtually scheduled court appearances or the ability to electronically file documents with the clerks’ offices. Please contact offices directly if you have any questions.”
- Clayton County Library branches at Forest Park, Lovejoy, and Northwest are closed until further notice.
- The Office of Elections and Registration at the Historic Jonesboro Courthouse is currently closed due to broken pipes, flooding, and water damage. The temporary location is 1285 Government Circle, Jonesboro, GA 30236. Limited voter registration resources are available at the temporary location. For immediate access to voter registration information, visit https://www.mvp.sos.ga.gov, https://www.claytonelections.com or call 770-477-3372. According to boaed member Darlene Johnson, “The damage in the office includes collapsed ceilings, flooding, water damage to offices as well as cubicles in the main as well as offices in the ceremonial courthouse. As a result, we are closing the office. Staff have been instructed to return home and have been given assignments to work on from home. Due to the severity of the damage, we are unsure at this time when we will be able to return to the office. We will keep you posted as this process unfolds as well as updates on our adjustments to accommodate the public.” She added that the Georgia Secretary of State’s Office has been notified.
- The Tax Assessor’s Office at 121 South McDonough Street, Jonesboro, GA 30236 is closed to the public. Call 770-47-3285 or for updates or visit https://www.claytoncountyga.gov/government/tax-assessor/.
- Lovejoy City Hall is closed due to water issues.
- Forest Park City Hall is closed due to water issues, as are these city departments:
- Human Resources
- Planning, Building and Zoning
- Recreation and Leisure (does not affect bottled water distribution)
- Forest Park Senior Center
- Morrow and Forest Park Fire Departments have backup water assistance from other fire departments due to low water pressure, according to Morrow Fire Marshal William Piper. A Franklin County, GA tanker was at Morrow on Tuesday until 6 p.m. When a fire broke out in Morrow overnight, Forest Park provided backup. A Tift County Fire Department water tanker is in Forest Park.
We’ll update this list with any additional closures or reopenings.