Georgia voters will be allowed to vote early on Saturday, November 26 in the U.S. Senate race between Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock and Republican challenger Herschel Walker.
Clayton County announced that it will offer Sunday voting on November 27. We’ve asked for clarification on whether a Saturday early voting day would be added or not to the holiday weekend in light of the ruling and will update when we hear back.
Registered voters can cast ballots at the county Elections and Registration Office in the Historic Jonesboro Courthouse, Forest Park Senior Center, Virginia Burton Gray Rec Center, Carl Rhodenizer Rec Center, South Clayton Rec Center, and Morrow City Hall:
Fulton County will have early voting on both Saturday, Nov. 26 and Sunday, Nov. 27 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at all early voting locations:
- ALPHARETTA: Alpharetta Library (10 Park Plaza, Alpharetta, GA 30009)
- ATLANTA: Buckhead Library (269 Buckhead Avenue, NE, Atlanta, GA 30305)
- ATLANTA: C.T. Martin Recreation Center (3201 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, Atlanta, GA 30311)
- ATLANTA: Chastain Park Recreation Center (140 Chastain Park Avenue NW, Atlanta, GA 30342)
- ATLANTA: Joan P. Garner Library at Ponce de Leon (980 Ponce De Leon Avenue NE, Atlanta, GA 30306)
- ATLANTA: Metropolitan Library (1332 Metropolitan Parkway SW, Atlanta, GA 30310)
- ATLANTA: Fulton County Govt Center (Suite #2186, 130 Peachtree Street SW, Atlanta, GA 30303)
- ATLANTA: Northside Library (3295 Northside Parkway NW, Atlanta, GA 30327)
- ATLANTA: Northwest Library at Scotts Crossing (2489 Perry Boulevard NW, Atlanta, GA 30318)
- EAST POINT: East Point Library (2757 Main Street, East Point, GA 30344)
- JOHNS CREEK: Northeast Spruill Oaks Library (9560 Spruill Road, Johns Creek, GA 30022)
- JOHNS CREEK: Robert F. Fulton Library at Ocee (5090 Abbotts Bridge Road, Johns Creek, GA 30005)
- MILTON: Milton Library (855 Mayfield Road, Milton, GA 30009)
- PALMETTO: Palmetto Library (9111 Cascade Palmetto Highway, Palmetto, GA 30268)
- ROSWELL: Roswell Library (115 Norcross Street, Roswell, GA 30075)
- ROSWELL: East Roswell Library (2301 Holcomb Bridge Road, Roswell, GA 30076)
- SANDY SPRINGS: Dorothy C. Benson Senior Multipurpose Complex (6500 Vernon Wood Drive, Sandy Springs, GA 30328)
- SANDY SPRINGS: North Fulton Service Center (7741 Roswell Road NE, Sandy Springs, GA 30350)
- SOUTH FULTON: South Fulton Service Center (5600 Stonewall Tell Road, South Fulton, GA 30349)
- SOUTH FULTON: Southwest Arts Center (915 New Hope Road SW, South Fulton, GA 30331)
- SOUTH FULTON: Welcome All Recreation Center (4255 Will Lee Road, South Fulton, GA 30349)
- SOUTH FULTON: Wolf Creek Library (3100 Enon Road SW, South Fulton, GA 30331)
- UNION CITY: Etris-Darnell Community Recreation Center (5285 Lakeside Drive, Union City, GA 30291)
- UNION CITY: Gladys S. Dennard Library at South Fulton (4055 Flat Shoals Road, Union City, GA 30291)
Warnock’s campaign, along with the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee and the Democratic Party of Georgia, had filed suit against Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger, who is a Republican.
The Democrats argued that the state had misinterpreted whether it was legal to vote the day after a state holiday. The Friday after Thanksgiving this year is an unnamed state holiday that used to honor Confederate General Robert E. Lee.
They also said that preventing weekend voting put Warnock at a disadvantage because more Democrats tend to vote early and because students and people who work during the week would have less access to early voting without a weekend early voting day.
Superior Court Judge Thomas A. Cox ruled that “counties may provide advance voting on Saturday, November 26, 2022. Further, Defendant is hereby enjoined from interfering in efforts by counties to provide for advance voting on Saturday, November 26, 2022.”
Warnock’s campaign manager, Quentin Fulks, issued this statement:
“Illegal attempts to block Saturday voting are another desperate attempt by career politicians to squeeze the people out of their own democracy and to silence the voices of Georgians. We’re aggressively fighting to protect Georgia voters’ ability to vote on Saturday.”
Warnock edged Walker in the primary but not by a wide-enough margin to win outright. Fewer than half of active Clayton County voters cast ballots in the primary.
A Warnock win would give Democrats 51 seats and control of the Senate. During his first term in office, Warnock worked across the aisle with Texas Sen. Ted Cruz and delivered significant federal funding to Georgia on transportation. He also saw his bill requiring the Veterans Administration to study racial disparities in benefits and pain evaluation signed into law.
Walker, a political neophyte battling questions about his mental health status and his was endorsed by former President Donald Trump, who announced on Wednesday that he would make a third run for the White House. Other Congressional and gubernatorial candidates who got Trump’s endorsement lost in the primary, prompting several leading Republicans to say Trump was no longer relevant to the party.
Trump faces a slew of legal troubles, including today’s Justice Department appointment of a special counsel, Jack Smith, to head investigations into Trump’s removal of classified documents to his Mar-a-Lago resort and his incitement of the deadly January 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol.