The last day to cast an advance ballot in person is Friday, November 4. After that, you will only be able to vote on Election Day, which is Tuesday, November 8. Be sure to bring your state-approved photo ID.

On Tuesday, the polls will open at 7 a.m. and close at 7 p.m. Also on Tuesday, you will be required to vote at your assigned polling location. You can look up your polling location on the Georgia Secretary of State’s My Voter Page,

However, you still can cast your ballot early on Friday in any one of these advance voting locations, no matter where you live in Clayton County:

Advance in-person voting locations

Polls open at 8 a.m. and close at 7 p.m. Friday at these advance voting locations. You can go to any one of these locations on Friday to cast your ballot in person on the machines:

  • Elections and Registration Office, 121 S. McDonough St., Jonesboro
  • South Clayton Recreation Center, 1837 McDonough Rd., Hampton
  • Carl Rhodenizer Recreation Center, 3499 Rex Rd., Rex
  • Forest Park Senior Center, 5087 Park Ave., Forest Park
  • Lake Spivey Recreation Center, 2300 Walt Stephens Rd., Jonesboro
  • Lee Headquarters Library, 865 Battle Creek Rd., Jonesboro
  • Virginia Burton Gray Recreation Center, 1475 E. Fayetteville Rd., Riverdale
  • Morrow Municipal Complex, 1500 Morrow Rd., Morrow
  • Flint River Community Center, 153 Flint River Rd., Riverdale
  • Sonna Singleton Gregory Senior Center, 3215 Anvil Block Rd., Ellenwood

Secure ballot drop box locations

You also can drop your completed paper absentee/advance ballot on Friday inside these locations between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m.:

  • Elections and Registration Office, 121 S. McDonough St., Jonesboro
  • South Clayton Recreation Center, 1837 McDonough Rd., Hampton
  • Carl Rhodenizer Recreation Center, 3499 Rex Rd., Rex

We strongly recommend against mailing in paper advance/absentee ballots at this point. You should bring your paper ballot on Friday to one of these three locations between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. Friday if you have not already done so.

What if my paper advance/absentee ballot hasn’t arrived?

If you applied for a paper advance/absentee ballot but have not yet received it, you can still vote in person. Explain your situation to the election official so that you can cancel your paper advance/absentee ballot and vote in person on the machines.

If you have some kind of problem when you go to vote in person, you have the right to request a provisional ballot. You will need to “cure” your ballot within three days after the election. Call the Elections and Registration office at (770) 477-3372 or e-mail with any questions or problems.

If you want to confirm whether your provisional ballot was counted, you can visit the My Voter Page. You also can call (844) 537-5375 or (888) 663-6616. Also, if your provisional ballot was not counted, you can find out why using these contacts.

Who’s running? What’s on the ballot?

Check your My Voter Page to see the specific candidates running in your district. In this election, many state legislative and county races only have one person running for that office. However, the big federal and statewide races are hotly contested, as you likely know from the firehose of political ads at every TV commercial break.

At the Gold Dome, the only contested races in Clayton County include:

  • State Senate District 34, where Democratic incumbent Valencia Seay faces Republican challenger Tommy Smith
  • State House District 75, where Democratic incumbent Mike Glanton faces Republican challenger Della Ashley
  • State House District 116, where Democratic incumbent El-Mahdi Holly faces Republican challenger Bruce Bennington

Two constitutional amendments and two statewide referendum questions are on the ballot, as well:

  • Amendment 1 would suspend pay for certain public officials who are indicted on a felony charge. Those officials would include the governor, lieutenant governor, secretary of state, attorney general, state school superintendent, insurance commissioner, agriculture commissioner, labor commissioner, and members of the General Assembly. (Read the bill.)
  • Amendment 2 would allow local governments and school boards to suspend property taxes temporarily for severely damaged or destroyed properties after a natural disaster. (Read the bill.)
  • Question A would give timber harvesting companies the ability to buy timber-harvesting machinery without having to pay any sales tax. (Read the bill.)
  • Question B would allow two or more entities that merge to create a single family-owned farm to get a property tax exemption. and it would expand that break to dairy and unfertilized egg farms. (Read the bill.)

Robin Kemp

Robin Kemp is executive editor and CEO of The Clayton Crescent, which she founded in 2020. She has worked for Gambit, CNN, The Weather Channel, Clayton News, Henry Herald, and numerous freelance outlets....

Leave a comment

Cancel reply