by Robin Kemp
Clayton County Police are asking the public for information after a man was shot dead Sunday in College Park during a cell phone sale.
According to CCPD spokesman Ofc. Jordan Parrish, officers got a call of a person shot in the 1100 block of Brookstone Road, which is in a subdivision off Flat Shoals Road. When they got there, they found a man, who had been shot, lying in the street.
The man was taken to a local hospital but died.
During the preliminary investigation, officers “learned that someone came to the victim’s home to sell him a brand new cell phone” and that the suspect and victim had conversed before the shooting.
The victim’s identity had not been released as of press time.
CCPD is asking anyone with information about this incident is asked to call (770) 477-3550.
If you shop with private parties online, consider these safety tips from Craigslist:
- Insist on a public meeting place like a cafe, bank, or shopping center.
- Do not meet in a secluded place, or invite strangers into your home.
- Be especially careful buying/selling high value items.
- Tell a friend or family member where you’re going.
- Take your cell phone along if you have one.
- Consider having a friend accompany you.
- Trust your instincts.
You also can use local police stations as meeting places for buying and selling items. If the other party doesn’t want to meet at a police station, that’s a strong indication that they aren’t serious about the deal and it could save your life.
Some local exchange points include:
- Clayton County Sheriff’s Office, 9157 Tara Blvd.
- Forest Park Police Station, 320 Cash Memorial Blvd.
- SafeTrade stations around metro Atlanta and other states
Even if there’s not an official exchange point, you can agree to meet the person inside or in front of the police station.