by Robin Kemp
Today is the last day to cast your ballot early in the special election races for Board of Commissioners District 1 and School Board District 8. The polls are open until 7 p.m.
You also can vote on Election Day, Tuesday, September 21, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at your regular precinct, according to Elections and Registration. We’ve asked for a list of exactly which precincts will be open that day and will pass that along as soon as we get it.
Check your own precinct and other voting information at the Georgia Secretary of State’s My Voter Page: https://www.mvp.sos.ga.gov/MVP/mvp.do. Enter your first initial, last name, county, and birthdate in the login box on the right side of the page for personalized voting information.
Please check out The Clayton Crescent’s Candidate Survey, which gives voters a nonpartisan guide to candidate positions on issues of current interest to voters in both elections. The Clayton Crescent does not endorse candidates.
Here’s where you can cast your ballot today:
- Historic Courthouse, Elections and Registration Office, 2nd Floor, 121 S. McDonough St. Annex 2, Jonesboro
- Morrow City Hall, 1500 Morrow Road, Morrow
- Carl Rhodenizer Recreation Center, 3299 Rex Road, Rex
- Forest Park Senior Center, 5087 Park Ave., Forest Park (the building behind the iron fence in Starr Park near the stadium)
As of Thursday, September 16, early turnout totals to date were:
- 43 at the Historic Courthouse
- 702 at Rhodenizer
- 295 at Morrow City Hall
- 23 at Forest Park Senior Center
- 1,063 total in-person ballots cast
These are the totals for absentee ballot applications and ballots received as of Thursday, September 16:
- 33 mail-in applications for ballots received (plus 27 processed before August 30 for a total of 60)
- 18 mail-in applications for ballots processed (plus 22 processed before August 30 for a total of 40)
- 15 mail-in applications for ballots rejected (plus 5 processed before August 30 for a total of 20)
- 31 ballots received (plus 0 processed before August 30 for a total of 31)
Should you experience any issues voting, contact the Clayton County Elections and Registration Office at (770) 477-3372. To report voter fraud, contact the Georgia Secretary of State’s Voter Fraud Hotline at (877) 725-9797.
One of the most important duties a news organization has to its readers is to provide information about elections and government. The Clayton Crescent is dedicated to making sure the people of Clayton County have this information. Support our important work at donorbox.org/clayton-crescent — and thank you!