by Robin Kemp
A forum for candidates in the Sept. 21 Clayton County Board of Commissioners District 1 special election is happening today, Saturday, July 24, at 11 a.m.
The special election is being held to fill the seat of the late BOC Vice-Chair Sonna Singleton Gregory, who died May 27.
The forum will take place at at Tabernacle of Praise Church International, 2450 Mt. Zion Parkway in Morrow between Stilwell School of the Arts and Kaiser Permanente Southwood. The event is sponsored by the Clayton County Federation of Democratic Women and will be moderated by Kathy Adams, director of the National Federation of Democratic Women Southern Region.
The candidates who qualified include:
- Aleika Anderson, former Clayton County School Board vice-chair
- Jae S. Brown, self-employed, VYD and Associates
- Shegale Crute Thurmond, Dekalb County Sheriff contracts paralegal, political consultant, former CCSO spokeswoman
- Regina Deloach, Invest Clayton chair and retired banker
- Hackwin DeVoe, Dekalb County Utilities Customer Operations billing manager
- Debra Dozier-King, senior administrator to Georgia Tech senior vice-president of administration and finance
- Junior Jackson, real estate agent and Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities, and Addictive Diseases Community Service Board Member
- Thomas Pough, security supervisor, CCSO corrections officer, and 2010 Georgia House candidate
- Alaina Reaves, consultant and Georgia Democratic National Committee member
- Ernest Strozier, Rockdale County Sheriff’s Office captain and retired College Park Police major
No candidates from other political parties qualified to run in this election.