by Robin Kemp
This just in: Sen. Jon Ossoff will meet with Clayton County Schools Superintendent Dr. Morcease Beasley and other Metro Atlanta area school superintendents at 12:45 p.m. today (Monday, June 14) to announce the results of federal American Rescue Plan funding. The announcement will take place outside the Clayton County Public Schools Performing Arts Center (PAC), 2530 Mt. Zion Pkwy. in Jonesboro, so you might want to take an alternate route if you plan to drive near the area. Dr. Beasley is expected to speak.
Also at today’s announcement will be:
- Atlanta Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Lisa Herring
- Cobb County Schools Legislative Affairs Officer Gretchen Walton
- City Schools of Decatur Superintendent Dr. Maggie Fehrman
- DeKalb County Schools Associate Superintendent of Accountability Oliver Lewis
- Douglas County Schools Superintendent Trent North
- Fulton County Schools Superintendent Dr. Mike Looney
- Gwinnett County Public Schools Associate Superintendent Dr. Clay Hunter
- Henry County Schools Superintendent Dr. Mary Elizabeth Davis
- Newton County Public Schools Superintendent Samantha Fuhrey
- Rockdale County Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Terry Oatts
Here’s what else you can expect this week around Clayton County.
We’ll update with the usual details on these meetings after today’s 12:45 p.m. press conference:
Monday, June 14
- 5 p.m.: Riverdale budget hearing
- 6 p.m.: Riverdale City Council meeting (see agenda packet)
- 6 p.m.: Jonesboro City Council meeting (see agenda packet)
- 6 p.m.: Forest Park community meeting on new zoning ordinance (register via Zoom at https://bit.ly/3cC0BnG)
- 6:30 p.m. Clayton County Ethics Board via Zoom at https://bit.ly/3zzgBRt
Tuesday, June 15
- 6:30 p.m.: Clayton County Board of Commissioners (see agenda packet)
- CANCELLED 6:30 p.m: Morrow Zoning Board meeting
Wednesday, June 16
- 10 a.m.: Rep. David Scott (D-13) holds a full committee hearing with presidents of the 1890 Land Grant Historically Black Colleges and Universities (there are 19), including Fort Valley State University, Virginia State University, University of Maryland Eastern Shore and Delaware State University. Details to follow.
- 3 p.m.: Morrow Urban Redevelopment Special Called Meeting, 1180 Southlake Circle (see agenda, which has only “work session” and “general discussion” listed as general items as of press time, following the shootout incident at Southlake Mall)
- 5 p.m.: Forest Park special called meeting for public hearing on FY 2022 budget (we’ve asked for a link to the budget and will update when we get one; see other city financial reports here)
- 5:30 p.m.: Morrow Convention and Tourism Association, 1180 Southlake Circle (see agenda, which includes a slideshow by the director and a workforce presentation by Invest Clayton’s Larry Vincent, as well as “new business budget,” “general discussion,” and “board comments” as general topics)
Thursday, June 17
- 5:30 p.m.: Clayton County Land Bank meets at Arts Clayton, 136 Main Street, Jonesboro, via Zoom at https://zoom.us/j/94058195944.
- 6 p.m.: Forest Park Ward 1 monthly meeting via Zoom (register in advance at https://bit.ly/3iC8v4k)
- 6 p.m.: Forest Park Planning Commission (neither a location nor an agenda appeared online as of press time)
- 6:30 p.m.: Clayton County Board of Zoning Appeals via Zoom (register in advance at https://bit.ly/35fB8fQ)
Friday, June 18
Saturday, June 19
- Juneteenth celebrations around Clayton County: see our list
As always, if you know of any governmental meetings this week not listed above, please let us know by social media, e-mail, carrier pigeon, or other means and we’ll add them!