by Robin Kemp
Police bodycams for Forest Park, new positions at the Sheriff’s Department, and zoning matters for Clayton County, Riverdale, Morrow, and Lovejoy are on this week’s to-do list. Due to a Monday morning event, please check back for updates.
MONDAY, MAY 17
- 6 p.m.: The Forest Park City Council holds its regular meeting at City Hall after postponing the previous meeting due to storms in the area. The agenda includes a vote on a new police body-worn and in-car camera policy as the department prepares to equip officers and some staff with bodycams. Online viewers should submit public comments by 4 p.m. Also up for consideration: three possible vendors for cleaning services at the police station, a proposal from Mauldin and Jenkins to create a project management office to implement suggested changes from the recent citywide operation and performance audit, and a $6,000 per month contract for communications services from Spiked Communications LLC of Fairburn, owned by Chata Spikes. The meeting follows at 7 p.m. Watch online via Zoom at https://bit.ly/3eTmqAB using webinar ID 894-6495-7303 and passcode 288884 or call (301) 715-8592 and enter the webinar ID and passcode when prompted. You also can watch on YouTube at https://bit.ly/3c28p0A. In-person seating is limited and masks and social distancing are required.
- 6:30 p.m.: Lovejoy’s City Council takes up zoning issues, including a public hearing and vote on a proposed change from R to R-40 for two properties at 2318 and 2328 Wallis Drive, as well as a resolution to adopt the FYE2022 budget.
TUESDAY, MAY 18
- 6:30 p.m.: Morrow’s Zoning Board meeting has been cancelled.
- 6:30 p.m.: The Board of Commissioners holds its regular meeting. Among the agenda items are a request to drop several Sheriff’s Department positions and add others, at a savings of just over $22,000, as well as a request from Moore Bass Consulting for a zoning change for about 21.6 acres of land at 3071, 3151, and 3201 Mount Zion Road from Mixed Use to High Density Residential. If passed, the proposal could put 294 apartments at the intersection of Mt. Zion Road and Georgia Hwy. 138. Planning and Zoning recommends approval, while the Zoning Advisory Group recommends denial.
WEDNESDAY, MAY 19
- 5 p.m.: The Riverdale City Council is holding a special called meeting to hear a petition to rezone a property that appears on the agenda as “REZON2021 One Street.” We’re working to learn more about this property, who owns it, and what changes are proposed.
THURSDAY, MAY 20
- 10 a.m.: The Forest Park Retirement Board holds its regular meeting. No agenda had been posted as of press time.
- 5 p.m.: Forest Park Ward 1 holds its monthly meeting. Join via Zoom at https://bit.ly/3uP5MaZ using meeting ID 830-8346-5760 and password jamesward1 or call (301) 715-8592 and enter meeting ID 830-8346-5760 and password 850-471-9671 when prompted. Contact Councilwoman Kimberly James at (404) 217-6202 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
FRIDAY, MAY 21
As always, please e-mail us directly at KempWrites@gmail.com for any additions, changes, or corrections!