by Robin Kemp

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have extended the ban of evictions based on tenants’ inability ot pay because of COVID-19 through June 30.

Clayton County Chairman Jeff Turner says the county still has funds available for COVID-19 assistance. Aid may include rent, mortgage, or utility payments.

The county is offering up to three months’ rent or mortgage and a one-time utility subsidy. To qualify, you must show “valid documentation to substantiate COVID-19 impact” on your income. Some examples:

  • an employment layoff or termination notice due to COVID-19
  • unemployment insurance documentation
  • “other documentation to support COVID-19 impact”

If your income qualifies, the Community Development HUD Program Division’s Direct Services Unit will send you an e-mail. You will then need to submit these documents:

  • driver’s license or ID card
  • birth certificates of all household members
  • Social Security cards of all household members
  • current utility bills
  • current lease agreement for renters or mortgage statement for homeowners

Under the county’s program, rental aid is paid directly to the landlord.

To apply for aid, visit (a check of the site at press time showed the form is “down for maintenance” until April 2). You also can call (770) 210-5208 for more information.

Visit for more help.

Leave a comment