by Robin Kemp
Some people who have been trying to get appointments for a COVID-19 vaccination now have a better chance of getting that shot close to Clayton County.
People in group 1A+ (age 65 or older, healthcare workers, caregivers, long-term care residents and staff, law enforcement, firefighters, first responders) who have made an appointment at MyGeorgiaVaccine.com will roll through the Delta Flight Museum parking lot at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. The Georgia Emergency Management Association is running the site, which is one of four mass vaccination sites newly opened Monday around the state.
The four sites include:
- Delta Air Museum (Fulton County), 1220 Woolman Place SW, Hapeville, 30354; Phone: 844-275-5425 TTY: 844-275-8944
- Macon Farmers Market (Bibb County), 2055 Eisenhower Pkwy., Macon, 31206; Phone: 844-274-9841 TTY: 844-275-8208
- Albany, Georgia Forestry Site (Dougherty County), 2910 Newton Road, Albany, 31701; Phone: 844-275-3428 TTY: 844-275-8224
- Habersham County Fairgrounds (Habersham County), 4235 Toccoa Highway, Clarkesville, 30523; Phone: 844-275-5388 TTY: 844-275-8938
Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Gov. Brian Kemp said the Delta site was chosen because it’s near Clayton County, which has the lowest vaccination rate statewide, as well as a large minority population.
Over the weekend, Clayton County Health District staff held another mass vaccination for people with appointments at its Battle Creek drive-through site.
People cannot just show up at the site without an appointment and expect to get a shot. Here’s how you can sign up for an appointment:
- Go to MyGeorgiaVaccine.com (the site appeared to be overloaded just after 6 a.m. Monday) and choose the category that applies to you.
- If it’s your turn, you can sign up for an appointment. Someone will get in touch with you about specifics.
- If it’s not your turn yet, you can still sign up for a notification when you can come back to make an appointment.
- When it is your turn, print out the QR code. Bring that and your ID to the appointment.
- Check in with the greeter on site.
- Get your shot. It will be Pfizer two-dose vaccine and medical personnel will give it to you.
- Wait 15 minutes to make sure you don’t have any adverse reaction, then schedule your second vaccination.
- Go to your second appointment to get the second dose of vaccine.
Delta said in a press release that “eligible individuals can also register for limited appointments to get vaccinated inside the Delta Museum at a clinic run by Delta in partnership with a certified health provider. This option will be available later in February and registration information will be shared soon. Once the Delta Museum option is open, MARTA will be running shuttles from the College Park rail station to Delta’s campus, allowing easier access for those without cars.”
Let us know how your experience was if you go through the Delta site. Also, if you can’t get an appointment there, but get one at the Macon site or with a private provider, please tell us about how it went for you.