by Robin Kemp
The Clayton County Health District has released the latest COVID-19 case counts by city as of January 10:
In the first ten days of 2021, Clayton County saw 1,302 new cases of COVID-19.
During that time, here’s how many people in each city tested positive for the virus:
- Jonesboro saw 443 new cases (from 4,252 to 4,695).
- Riverdale had 199 new cases (from 2,670 to 2,869).
- Morrow logged 89 new cases (from 1,413 to 1,508).
- Forest Park added 90 new cases (from 1,417 to 1,507).
- Rex jumped by 105 cases (from 917 to 1,022).
Clayton County residents who are 65 or older, or who are caregivers to someone 65 or older, can sign up for free COVID-19 vaccinations. Visit https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BCCWRRD or call (678) 479-2223.
Scheduling depends on vaccine availability. However, the Health District his offering three dates at two locations:
- Forest Park Rec Center/Gym walkthrough clinic, Friday, January 15
- Tara Stadium drive-through clinic, Saturday, January 23
- Tara Stadium drive-through clinic, Friday, January 29
Health experts say it’s important for people who get the vaccine to keep wearing masks, social distancing, washing hands, using hand sanitizer when soap and water aren’t available, and sanitizing high-=touch surfaces. Depending on the vaccine, you may need two doses instead of one. While the approved vaccines are more than 90 percent effective, it’s still possible to carry the virus and pass it on to other people around you.