by Robin Kemp
The Clayton County Board of Elections and Registration is tabulating absentee ballots and verifying absentee ballot voter signatures ahead of the January 5, 2021 U.S. Senate runoff. Both processes are open to the public.
According to the public notice from Elections and Registration, “Any members of the public who wish to observe will be required to check in, receive a badge, take an oath, and relinquish cell phones or other electronic recording devices prior to viewing this process. For more information regarding this process, please contact the Clayton County Board of Elections and Registration Office at (770) 477-3372.”
Tabulation is open from 9 am. to 4 p.m. at 7946 N. McDonough Street (“the Bunker” next to Clayton County Police Headquarters). Any schedule changes will be posted on the door of the building, as required by state law. Any preliminary results shall not be released to the public prior to the polls closing at 7 p.m. on January 5.
Tabulation began Monday, December 21.
Absentee ballot signature verification is taking place at the Elections and Registration Office, which is in the Historic Courthouse in Jonesboro, as follows:
- Monday, December 28-Thursday, December 31, 2020 from 6 a.m.-8 a.m. and from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Saturday, January 2, 2021-Sunday, January 3, 2021 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Monday, January 4, 2021 from 6 a.m.-8 a.m. and from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Tuesday, January 5, 2021 (Election Day) from 8 a.m. “until”
- Wednesday, January 6-Friday, January 8 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Signature verification began December 11.
Dozier said the Elections and Registration office is open until December 31 this week, with extended hours until 7 p.m.
In-person early voting continues
You can cast early ballots in person through Thursday, December 31 between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. at the following locations:
- Elections and Registration Office, Historic Courthouse, 121 S. McDonough Street, Jonesboro
- Carl Rhodenizer Recreation Center, 3499 Rex Road, Rex
- Lee Headquarters Library, 865 Battle Creek Road, Jonesboro
- Morrow Municipal Complex, 1500 Morrow Road, Morrow
- South Clayton Recreation Center, 1837 McDonough Road, Hampton
- Virginia Burton Gray Recreation Center, 1475 E. Fayetteville Road, Riverdale
- J. Charley Griswell Senior Center, 2300 Georgia Hwy. 138 East, Jonesboro
You can learn more about the candidates running for U.S. Senate by checking out our candidate profiles.