by Robin Kemp
Today is Monday, December 14 , 2020 and the polls open at 8 a.m. for advance/early voting in two U.S. Senate races that could shift Congressional power to the Democratic Party for the first time in years.
The two races are between:
Jon Ossoff (D) and Sen. David Perdue (R)
If you are registered to vote in Clayton County, you can vote early in person at any of the following locations:
- Carl Rhodenizer Recreation Center, 3499 Rex Road, Rex
- Elections and Registration Office (Historic Courthouse), 121 S. McDonough St., Jonesboro
- J. Charley Griswell Senior Center, 2300 Georgia Hwy 138 SE, Jonesboro
- Lee Headquarters Library, 865 Battle Creek Road, Jonesboro
- Morrow Municipal Complex, 1500 Morrow Road, Morrow
- South Clayton Recreation Center, 1837 McDonough Road, Hampton
- Virginia Burton Gray Recreation Center, 1475 East Riverdale Road, Riverdale
Early voting days and times are as follows:
- Monday, Dec. 14 – Friday, Dec. 18 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 19 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 20 from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Monday, Dec. 21 – Wednesday, Dec. 23 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Monday, Dec. 28 – Thursday, Dec. 21 from 8 a.m, to 7 p.m.
If you plan to vote absentee or by paper ballot, get your application in as soon as possible to avoid holiday delays.
Check your registration status online at mvp.sos.ga.gov.
According to a December 10 notice from Clayton County Elections Director Shauna Dozier, early counting of ballots will begin December 21 at 9 a.m. and will repeat daily from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. with any changes posted on the door at 7946 McDonough Street. Observer rules have gotten stricter from count to count. Now, observers will be required to “check-in, receive a badge, take an oath, and relinquish cell phones or other electronic recording devices prior to viewing this process.”
Anyone with questions can call (770) 477-3372.