by Robin Kemp
Here’s a look at the first week of early voter turnout for Clayton County, GA:
- The county has received 3,457 new absentee mail-in ballots as of Thursday.
- A total of 15,437 Clayton County voters had cast absentee mail-in ballots as of Thursday, either by U.S. Mail or by county elections ballot box.
- As of Thursday, county elections office had processed 41,760 of the 42,146 applications for absentee mail-in ballots.
- On average, 3,365 Clayton County voters cast ballots in person during the first four days of early voting.
- Friday figures were not available at press time.
Early voting dates and times
Clayton County voters will be able to cast ballots in person next weekend. Here are the remaining days and times for early voting before the Nov. 3 election:
- Monday, Oct. 19: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 20: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Wednesday, Oct. 21: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 22: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 23: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 24: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Sunday, Oct. 25: 12 p.m.-5 p.m.
- Monday, Oct. 26: 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 27: 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Wednesday, Oct. 28: 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Thursday, Oct. 29: 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Friday, Oct. 30: 8 a.m.-7 p.m.
The final day to vote will be Election Day, Tuesday, Nov. 3.
If you are in line at closing time, you have the right to cast your ballot.
Early voting locations
Here are the places where you can vote early. Consider bringing a folding chair, drinks, and snacks in case of extended wait times and dress accordingly. Lines were a lot shorter on Friday, according to several people around the county who reported 30-minute wait times.
You can drop off your absentee ballot (or that of a family member or roommate) at any of seven secure county ballot box locations:
- Jonesboro: Historic Courthouse, 121 S. McDonough Street
- Jonesboro: J. Charley Griswell Senior Center, 2300 Georgia Hwy. 138 SE
- Rex: Carl Rhodenizer Rec Center, 3499 Rex Road
- Hampton: South Clayton Rec Center, 1837 McDonough Road
- Riverdale: Virginia Burton Gray Rec Center, 1475 E. Fayetteville Road
- Riverdale: Frank Bailey Senior Center, 6213 Riverdale Road
- Forest Park: Forest Park Branch Library, 4812 West Street
And if you need a little inspiration for getting to the polls, check out these electoral moves by Jonesboro City Councilmembers Pat Sebo-Hand and Donya Sartor: