by Robin Kemp
Clayton County Elections and Registration has released the following unofficial numbers for the second day of advance and absentee voting to fill the unfinished term of the late U.S. Rep. John Lewis in District 5:
- Elections and Registration Office, 121 S. McDonough St., Jonesboro: 22
- Carl Rhodenizer Rec Center, 3499 Rex Road, Rex: 98
- Morrow Municipal Complex. 1500 Morrow Road, Morrow: 70
- Virginia Burton Gray Rec Center, 1475 E. Fayetteville Road, Riverdale: 21
- TOTAL: 211
In addition, Elections and Registration reports the following:
- Mail-in applications received: 20 + 280 before Sept. 8 = 300 to date
- Mail-in applications processed: 20 + 267 before Sept. 8 = 287 to date
- Mail-in applications rejected: 0 + 13 before Sept. 8 = 13 to date
- Ballots received: 13 + 90 before Sept. 8 = 103 to date
74,060 Clayton County voters are eligible to vote in the Sept. 29 election, according to Elections and Registration Director Shauna Dozier.
As of July 10, Dozier said, there were 189,161 active voters and 12,303 inactive voters, for a total of 201,464 registered voters in Clayton County.
The special election is set for Sept. 29. Advance voting is underway.